Our Record - Litigation
These are some of the matters in which we have acted:
- Cranbrook Nominees Pty Ltd and Blake Corporation Pty Ltd v Commissioner of Taxes  NTSC 86
A successful stamp duty appeal
- Prosser & Anor v AMP General Insurance Ltd  NTSC 80
Wholly defeated a claim against the insurer client, arising from the Katherine flood
- Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu v Cridlands Pty Ltd  134 FCR 474
Wholly defeated a $5M professional negligence claim
- NT Pubco Pty Ltd & Anor v DNPW Pty Ltd (subject to a deed of Company Arrangement) &Ors  NTSC 51
Successful costs application notwithstanding proceeding rendered academic
- Murray Pest Management Pty Ltd v A&J Bilske Pty Ltd &Ors  NTSC 05
Defeated restraint of trade claim
- Blackbear (NT) Pty Ltd v Want & Anor  NTSC 63
Successful claim by builder for breach of contract against its customer
- NT Pubco Pty Ltd & Anor v Strazdins&Ors; Strazdins& Anor v Cowell Clarke &Ors  NTSC 8
Successfully resisted strikeout application relating to advocate's immunity
- Cook v Modern Mustering Pty Ltd &Ors and Savage &Ors v Modern Mustering Pty Ltd &Ors  NTSC 82
Working together with southern principals, wholly defeated a $5M claim against insurers
- Nilsen (NT) Pty Ltd v Delta Electrics NT Pty Ltd  NTCA 3
Successfully opposed an appeal from a decision to strikeout a pleading
- Value Inn Pty Ltd v Proprietors of Unit Plan 2004/048 & ANOR  NTCA 8
A successful appeal in relation to costs
- Lawrie v Lawler (No 2)  NTSC 46
Successful costs application, on indemnity basis
- Lawrie & Anor v Lawler  NTSC 40
Successfully opposed recusal application
- Lawrie v Lawler  NTSC 19
Wholly defeated a judicial review application for the NT's first Inquiries Commissioner
- Lawrie v Lawler  NTSA 03
Successfully resisted the appeal
- Perry Park Pty Ltd v City of Darwin  NTSC 27
Defeated claim by tenant for alleged breach of a lease
- Cook &Ors v Modern Mustering Pty Ltd &Ors  NTCA 1
Successfully resisted the appeal
- INPEX Operations Australia Pty Ltd & Anor v JKC LNG Pty Ltd & Anor (No 2)  NTSC 45
Together with southern principals, successful judicial review application
- GwalwaDaraniki Association Inc v Chin (No 2)  NTSC 24
Successfully resisted security for costs application.
- Halikos Hospitality Pty Ltd &Ors v INPEX Operations Australia Pty Ltd  NTSC 10
Together with southern principals, wholly defeated a multi-million dollar claim for breach of contract
- The Proprietors - Building Development Plan No.DV2008/022A-E NTCAT 2021-00273-CT
Successful application for the appointment of an administrator to a body corporate under the Unit Titles Act.
The great majority of our matters settle before hearing. We encourage participation in mediation to resolve disputes efficiently and at reasonable cost.
We have represented medical practitioners, affected families and local government at a significant number of coronial inquests. We have represented medical practitioners, engineers, other professionals and agents before disciplinary tribunals.
Our Record - Commercial
We have acted on the sale/purchase of numerous pastoral properties including: Scott Creek, Kalala, Conways, Willeroo, Flying Fox, Maryfield, Ban Ban Springs, Dorisvale, Old Mount Bundey, Bonalbo, Forrest Hill, Tanumbirini, Amburla, Tobermorey, Allambi, Inverness, Malvern Hills and Tarlee.
We act for 3 local governments, advising on a wide variety of contracts, leases and on tender processes.
We act for one of Australia's major medical insurers and have acted either directly or together with southern principals for a large number of indemnity insurers of lawyers and other professionals, aviation and maritime insurers and general insurers.
Asset Protection/Estate planning
We have developed particular expertise in estate planning for wealthy individuals and families with complex company and trust structures in place.
We have acted in a significant number of high value business sales, share and unit sales, commercial leasing, sales and purchases of multi-million dollar commercial and industrial properties.